Please stay at home, starve the virus and flatten the curve.
This is our fifth week of staying and working at home.
~~~~~~~~~~Today, we're traveling to Portugal.
Portugal is truly a delight to explore. We flew to Lisbon in the Spring of 2018. From our past travels, we've learned not to pack so much on our itinerary. For this trip, we mainly picked the places that we're really interested to see and left much idle time people watching at parks, comparing one pastel de nata to another, and drinking tea and munching on pastries at cafes.
|Palacio Nacional da Pena|
2) The westernmost point of the Sintra Mountain Range, Cabo da Roca. The lighthouse stands watch 165 meters above the Atlantic Ocean enjoying an astounding view and surrounded by blooming Carpobrotus flowers on the hill side.
3) Batalha Monastery, a Dominican Monastery, is a UNESCO World Heritage site built to commemorate the Portuguese victory over the Castilians at the Aljubarrot Battle in 1385. This is an impressive building, and if you're lucky to time your visit right, you can watch the changing of the guards.
4) Although I am an Episcopalian, I am a product of Catholic education. Since grade school, I've read about the Marian apparitions as claimed by the shepherd children, Lucia, Francisco and Jacinto. The place inspires visits from so many devotees from all over the world to offer candles and prayers. Whether you're a believer or not, it doesn't matter. Fatima offers a place of reflection, peace, healing, hope, and love.
|Basilica of our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima|
|Chapel of the Apparitions - built in the 1920s to mark the exact location where the three children saw the apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary.|
5) The beautiful seaside resort of Nazare.
|Freshly caught fish for lunch.|
|There is something cozy about having lunch at the back alley of a fisherman's house, where we were served grilled fish with lemon, olive oil, vinegar and boiled potatoes.|
6) Obidos is a quaint medieval town with houses adorned with bougainvilleas and honeysuckles. It is also encircled by medieval wall.
|Porta de Villa, the main gate entrance to Obidos.|
|Walking on top of the walls is a good way to see the town or simply to get a good exercise.|
7) Beautiful and fun Lisbon.
|Padrao dos descobrimentos|
|Santa Justa Lift|
|Tile Museum or Museu Nacional do Azulejo|
|We were in time to see a performance at the Fado Museum.|
|Time Out Market Lisboa|
8) Food we really enjoyed - roasted pork, Pasteis de Belem, Bifanas, and more pastries.
|Roasted pork with crispy skin|
|Pasteis de Belem|
|Travesseiro de Sintra or Sintra's Pillows at Fabrica de Quiejadas in Sintra.|
|Clams in white wine sauce|
|Grilled Pulpo with Olive Oil - our favorite.|
|How can you say no to these enticing pastries?|